New problem with GIMP plugin file-jpeg

Hello.

I have, in the last hour, tried to open a JPEG file, to crop it, using the GIMP.

I was unable to open that file.

I now can not open JPEG files with the GIMP.

The error message returned, includes

"
GIMP Message

Plug-in crashed: "file-jpeg"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-jpeg)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may
want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

GIMP Message

Opening '<file name including path>' failed: Procedure
'file-jpeg-load' returned no return values

"

I replaced the file name and path with
"<file name including path>"
as it does not matter what is the filename; files with the extension
.jpg, are no longer able to be opened with the GIMP.

I believe that recently, an update to the utility "file" was done; I
do not know whether this is a side effect.

I have exited and restarted the GIMP, a number of times, and, tried
with different .jpg files.

I also performed a system update, using apt-get, and, again tried
unsuccessfully to open JPEG files with the GIMP. I am aware of an
update to libjasper, that was installed.

The GIMP will simply no longer open that file type, on my system.

I also get the same error mesage, with .jpeg files

I have just searched for, downloaded, and, successfully opened, a .png
file, opening that file with the GIMP, so I assume that the problem
appears to apply to only JPEG files, using the GIMP.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."