Re: Packages not supportable in squeeze-lts

On 16. mai 2014, at 11:17, Matt Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

> I expect servers running PHP to be a significant part of the squeeze
> LTS-using "cohort".

Regrettably, this is my/my employer's interest in the matter as well. :)

>  As much as it pains me to say it, I think I'd end up
> spending time supporting this PHP version for security updates if any came
> up (work lets me do this on company time, so yeah...).  I totally understand
> if Wordpress/Joomla/anyone sane wanted to drop support for PHP 5.3 in their
> PHP-using application, though.  (As an aside, the *last* PHP version listed
> as being supported by stock Magento is 5.3.24, which makes me chuckle).

Heh.

It would be nice, though, if PHP 5.3-current could be supported. I think that PHP is by the very nature of how its developers treat it, a volatile package that cannot reasonably be frozen at a given version.

For the most part, we have been able to address user/customer concerns by noting that we use Debian's packaged version, where security patches are backported, and therefore that version is reasonably safe.

However, after Joomla! 3.3 came, 5.3.10 is required, and yes, they check the version number.

I suspect this is due to feature change and (rather important) bugfixes that have been made in the early days of PHP 5.3.

For wheezy, I'm sticking to the most recent versions of PHP 5.5.x, and not using the standard Debian packages of 5.4 – there appears to be no sane reason to want to stick to 5.4. But that's another debate. :)

Jan