Re: Packages not supportable in squeeze-lts

On 16. mai 2014, at 10:04, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org> wrote:

> On ven., 2014-05-16 at 07:12 +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
>>
>> These need discussion or specific commitment:
>> wordpress (we already ship the same version in oldstable as in stable, if someone
>>           commit we can continue to do so)
>
> I did some DSAs for wordpress, upgrading to latest upstream releases,
> and Raphaël (Hertzog) did some too. I think it's not that hard to
> prepare them, so if he's ok too I guess we can keep it going that way
> (at least until something really breaks).

Here are my thoughts, not really concluding anything, though …

WordPress as of 2.9 has few-click updates from wp-admin.
WordPress as of 3.7 has automated updates of security releases.

So, for updates at least, WordPress should not be a concern. Or?

Are fresh installs a consideration? I guess they are.

I worry that sometime in the not too distant future, WordPress might, just like Joomla! did with 3.3, explicitly drop support for the PHP version provided by squeeze.

I can understand why, PHP 5.3.3 is not a very good PHP 5.3 version.

But at that point in time, people should either stop using squeeze for hosting PHP, or they should use a backported higher version.

Jan