Re: lsb: Willingness to help for the Ubuntu merge

Le 01.05.2012 15:12, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> On 01.05.2012 10:39, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>> So I am willing to put work where needed towards the goal of sharing a
>> single Debian source package. Where do you want to start from?
>>
>> (By the way, one major hurdle is probably the default python version for
>> lsb-release. The attached patch is an attempt at making the python scripts
>> work with both python2.6 and python3 without further change. Comments
>> welcome.)
>
> I didn't check for the current diffs yet, but yes, keeping the diff minimal
> would be appreciated.  The python implementation working with both 2 and 3
> looks ok, however the shebang lines need to be adjusted. But why stick to
> python2 for Debian?

In the long term, having lsb-release (and lsb-core' scripts) run by
python3 will certainly make sense. That said, I think that for Debian
Wheezy that will ship with python2.7 installed everywhere anyway, having
lsb-release pull python3.2 would be an invasive change that might
trigger the same problems as appeared for Ubuntu Precise (CD sizes, etc).

I propose to open a merge-from-ubuntu branch on the Git repository that
will include:

a) the conversion of the scripts to be python2 and python3 compatible;
b) a dpkg-vendor snippet that does the shebang lines conversion for
distros that "derives-from" Ubuntu.

Then, lsb.git as referred to from Vcs-Git is on alioth under
collab-maint and I would welcome experimentation branches but would
prefer to keep the hand on master.

What else is needed for Ubuntu to have Debian's lsb_4.1+Debian* ?

Cheers,

OdyX