Re: RM: lsbappchk -- RoM; superseded by lsb-appchk2 and lsb-appchk3 and obsolete

On 11/16/06, Matt Taggart <matt@lackof.org> wrote:

"Ian Murdock" writes...

> > > (whereas LSB 3 and higher will be backward compatible),
> >
> > I don't understand what this means. Are you saying newer LSB applications w
> ill
> > be able to run on older LSB runtimes? If so how would that work?
>
> http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
>
> http://www.freestandards.org/en/Application_Compatibility

Ah I see the confusion, you are talking about "forwards compatibility" (not
backwards, that would be the case I described). That has always been a goal of
the LSB, that's not new with 3.0. I think previous versions of the LSB have
met that goal too, unless I'm mistaken (Mats can you confirm?).

Mats can confirm, but it's my understanding that LSB 3.0 is not backward
compatible with LSB 2.0, i.e., LSB 2 apps won't necessarily run on
LSB 3 runtimes because some symbols were removed between LSB 2 and LSB 3.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590