Re: RM: lsbappchk -- RoM; superseded by lsb-appchk2 and lsb-appchk3 and obsolete

On 11/16/06, Matt Taggart <taggart@debian.org> wrote:

"Ian Murdock" writes...

> LSB 2 is obsolete too, so I would recommend removing lsb-appchk2 as well.
> All users should be targeting LSB 3.

You are right that the v3 tools should be the recommended ones.
But I can still see a need to be able to test LSB 2 compliance:

* for use when targeting older releases of distros that only have LSB 2
  compliance (or as a common denominator when targeting multiple)
* for comparison with LSB 3 when evaluating apps
* to be able to test (historic) claims of LSB 2 compliance (similar
    argument to putting things in "oldlibs")

I think maybe the policy should be to support N and N-1 for these tools. For
LSB runtime support we may want to support as many versions as is easily
possible. I think LSB 1.x stuff should still work, although I don't know if
anyone has run the 1.x tests in a really long time.

That's fine, but the only distro I see anyone targeting anymore in the
list of LSB 2.0 certified distros is SLES 9, and that's LSB 3.0 certified
as well. Furthermore, the rest (Linpus, Mandriva, Sun Wah) are about to LSB
3.1 certify new versions. That, and the fact that LSB 2 is not compatible
with LSB 3 (whereas LSB 3 and higher will be backward
compatible), leads us to strongly discourage anyone from targeting LSB 2.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590