Re: RM: lsbappchk -- RoM; superseded by lsb-appchk2 and lsb-appchk3 and obsolete

On 11/16/06, Matt Taggart <matt@lackof.org> wrote:

"Ian Murdock" writes...

> > > (whereas LSB 3 and higher will be backward compatible),
> >
> > I don't understand what this means. Are you saying newer LSB applications w
> ill
> > be able to run on older LSB runtimes? If so how would that work?
>
> http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_Roadmap
>
> http://www.freestandards.org/en/Application_Compatibility

Ah I see the confusion, you are talking about "forwards compatibility" (not
backwards, that would be the case I described). That has always been a goal of
the LSB, that's not new with 3.0. I think previous versions of the LSB have
met that goal too, unless I'm mistaken (Mats can you confirm?).

Oh yeah, I forgot that HP reverses backward and forward compatibility
from what I'm used to.. Note that Wikipedia agrees with my definition,
so it must be true!

-ian
--
Ian Murdock