Re: LSB woody certification (again)

Matt Taggart wrote:
Jeff Licquia writes...
We have completed our testing of woody with our patches. Remember, these are at:

http://hackers.progeny.com/~licquia/lsb/patches/woody/

with an apt repository at:

deb[-src] http://hackers.progeny.com/~licquia/lsb/apt/ woody/

As far as we can tell, all technical issues have been resolved, and woody with our patches will certify. This includes running lsb-runtime-test, lsblibchk, and the application battery.

Are you talking about just i386 or ia64, pcc, s390 too?

We've been running i386 testing. I've arranged to grab a spare Itanium 1 box we've got laying around, so we can know the state of ia64 by tomorrow morning, most likely.

We don't have any ppc or s390 boxes.  If anyone out there does...

Of course, no one's perfect, so it would be nice if someone could provide an independent analysis. (Matt, is this something you could do? Don't want to single you out, but OTOH you've been working on this longer than anyone.)

I think verification is a good idea and I'd be willing to do it if,

* the patches are acceptable for a stable point release
* you can provide a recipe for doing so. I assume this is just
   1.) install woody
   2.) apt-get upgrade from the above apt source
   3.) run the tests

There's a few extra steps:

 - "apt-get install lsb" :-)

- "apt-get install gettext" is necessary for lsb-runtime-test, though I'm not sure it's required for the LSB itself.

- lsblibchk wants libgcc1, so make sure that package is installed. Since it's a gcc 3.x thing, not many packages in woody pull it in.

Also I'd like to get unstable compliant as well. I think all patches
should be applied in unstable first before allowing them stable.

None of the LSB problems in woody affect sarge, to my knowledge:

 - kernel: Accepted in 2.4.19 (possibly some in 2.4.20).

 - glibc: 2.3.x doesn't trip any of the failures in current woody glibc.

 - bash: 2.05b or later doesn't require the patch.

 - cpio: Integrated upstream.

- grep: The OpenI18N people claim that some parts of the grep patch haven't been integrated upstream yet. However, none of the grep problems in woody show up in my sarge tests.

 - pax: This patch is a backport from sarge.

 - sed: Integrated in 4.0.1.

 - alien, lsb, lsb-release: Backports from sarge.