[cyeoh@samba.org: Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media]

How do we respond to this?   For /srv, I think it's pretty clear we
want "Accept proposal as in FHS 2.3 beta 3".  What about /media?

----- Forwarded message from Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh@samba.org> -----

From: Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh@samba.org>
Subject: Informal Straw Poll for /srv and /media
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:15:58 +1100
To: freestandards-fhs-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Matt Wilson <msw@redhat.com>, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>,
	Martin Michlmayr <leader@debian.org>,
	Stew Benedict <sbenedict@mandrakesoft.com>, roger.so@sw-linux.com,
	grog@lemis.com, Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@pathname.com>,
	rusty@samba.org, corbet@lwn.net

The discussion on /srv and /media has been going on for quite a while
(starting from about the beginning of FHS 2.2 development) and I think
it is important we come to some resolution on these two issues if it
all possible. To help do this we would like some informal but public
feedback from the linux distributions and unix or unix-like operating
systems.

If you are able to act as a representative for one of these AND the
system you build is, or intended to be FHS compliant please send in
your votes to this mailing list
(freestandards-fhs-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net). I have previously
asked representatives from some distributions privately as to their
views. We would appreciate it if these people would still participate
in this poll.

For the /media issue. Please list what you would like in the FHS
in the order of most preferred to least preferred:

- /media/cdrom
- /mnt/cdrom
- /cdrom
- No change [1]
- The FHS should not specify and allow it wherever the distribution wishes [2]
- Other [3]

Notes:

1 - The wording of FHS 2.2 does *not* allow for /mnt/cdrom

2 - The FHS specifies default places and there is nothing stopping
    local admins from changing things. We don't have FHS police that
    go around checking your system.

3 - If you don't have another, you don't have to list this as a preference.

For the /srv issue. Please list in order of most preferred to least preferred:

- Accept proposal as in FHS 2.3 beta 3
- Reject proposal
- Other

When sending in your votes please state the
distribution/Unix/Unix-like system you represent.

This is not a formal vote on what will be included in FHS 2.3 and
should not be interpreted as such.  The are no restrictions on what
qualifies as a "linux distribution", but if its something that you
have rolled up yourself for just you and your pet cat to use, we are
likely take that into account.

Voting closing 12pm (GMT) Wednesday 26th of November.

Chris
--
cyeoh@au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group