Re: Run-levels & init-scripts

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 03:06:41PM +0100, Patrice Fortier wrote:
> I'm also interested in informations about the use of comment conventions
> in init scripts:
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/initscrcomconv.html
>
> The first line state that this is for LSB applications. What is (or can
> be considered) an LSB application?

Well, it's any application which is LSB complient, especially those
which are certified (currently none). The applications of a distribution
(even if it is certified) need not to LSB complient.
I think there are currently hardly any applications which are fully complient.
Nevertheless, for ISV (independent software vendors) and for
distributions there is some pressure for more LSB complient applications.
(i.e. using LSB complient init scripts and be FHS conform etc. But
probably no-one will use /lib/ld-lsb.so or restrict themselves to the
LSB libraries.)

> I just installed a debian sarge, and I was surprised to see that half of
> daemons started/stopped in /etc/rc?.d are at S20 and K20. AFAIK this is
> the default value for update-rc.d.
> I find it quite disturbing to use these values and I'd like to (in fact
> I will :)) change them.
As long as the dependencies are ok, way shouldn't they have the same
number?

> The best way I see to do that is to use these
> comments (when they are present, which is not the case).
> Do you (not personnaly :)) plan to use these comments in the init
> scripts? is it just for a couple of applications or for all the daemons
> in /etc/init.d?

I personally like those comment headers a lot (they pave the way for
running the init scripts in parallel), but I'm a strong LSB proponent
and those scripts have to run under SUSE too (where those headers are a
must otherwise they are assumed to have _no_ dependency at all).

But this a policy decision and not a debian-lsb question (which is more
interested in getting Debian lsb certified). Your questions are --
at least some extend -- addressed in

> Finally, I don't if this is the good ml to ask this but...
> Do you have guidelines for the default start/stop Sxx/Kyy numbers
> in /etc/rc2.d. I know that there is something on RH site, but i didn't
> find anything yet on debian.
I don't know whether there is something written, but in
/usr/lib/lsb/install_initd they have:
    "$local_fs" : {'lsb' : (0, 100)},
    "$network" : {'lsb' : (10, 50)},
    "$remote_fs" : {'lsb ': (19, 20)},
    "$named" : {'lsb': (19, 19)},
    "$syslog" : {'lsb' : (10, 89)},
    "$portmap" : {'lsb' : (19, 34)},
    "$time" : {'lsb' : (24, 21)},
i.e. a script which needs $time has S24 or higher and K21 or lower.

Tobias