I18N coreutils patch seems to break head and tail

I haven't had a chance to figure this out yet, but I thought it prudent
to report.

I've been testing sarge with the i18n patch to coreutils 4.5.9
forward-ported to 5.0 and applied against coreutils 5.0-5.  You can see
my patch at:

  http://hackers.progeny.com/~licquia/lsb/patches/sarge/coreutils_5.0-5/

Anyway, after installing coreutils with this patch, this happens:

---
licquia@sargetest:~$ head -1 /etc/profile
head: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
Try `head --help' for more information.
licquia@sargetest:~$ head -n 1 /etc/profile
# /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for the Bourne shell (sh(1))
licquia@sargetest:~$ tail -1 /etc/profile
tail: `-1' option is obsolete; use `-n 1'
Try `tail --help' for more information.
licquia@sargetest:~$ tail -n 1 /etc/profile
umask 022
---

Downgrading to coreutils 5.0-5 as delivered in sarge causes the problem
to go away.

Needless to say, this change wreaks havoc on the system.  The openssl
update failed to install; I'm sure it's not the only package to use head
or tail in a package script.  At least dch and dpkg-buildpackage are
also broken.