Re: Growth due to firmware + Boot menu image

Hello Jonathan,

On 20/03/2023 18:51, Jonathan Carter wrote:
For now this /does/ work. But we do end up with 740M of uncompressed firmware on the image, so at the very least I think we should circle back to this for Debian 13.

Luckily, the firmware files *are* compressed, in the .deb format and in the .squashfs. The GNOME ISO file grew about 14% (420MB). There are provisions in live-build to exclude some firmware files, if they are already embedded in the d-i images. However, when I tested that before the firmware change, it reduced the size by about 50MB-100MB, which is only a tiny fraction of the 3GB file.

BTW, are you planning to change the syslinux config? I notice it still shows the construction cap.

The boot menus both for syslinux and grub show the default image (the construction cap). Now that the major hurdles (non-free-firmware and regular builds) have been taken, I can focus on this.

With kind regards,
Roland