Re: UEFI Support

Since I have found little documentation on this issue, I wanted to briefly summarize my results creating an UEFI-bootable Isohybrid-Image. Just in case that perhaps they could be useful for someone.

Both packages work for me with the following differences:

*live-build package provided by Kali-Linux*
If you use "--bootloader syslinux" OR --bootloader is not set in live-build configuration, both, BIOS and UEFI systems are booted with Syslinux.

Advantage: That means more possible options and consistent user-experience for BIOS/CSM and UEFI-Boot.

Disadvantage (for me): I use Isohybrid-Images, because ISO960 is read-only and users can not accidentally delete files, when mounting the removable device in another OS. To boot via UEFI, in addition to the ISO 9660 file system there is a small - of course writable - FAT partition needed. Different than if you use GRUB, using Syslinux it also contains the /live folder with kernel and initrd, which therefore are no longer read-only. This is a disadvantage for me, but for most cases, it is probably irrelevant.

*live-build package provided in Debian Git*
If you use "--bootloader syslinux,grub-efi" OR --bootloader is not set in live-build configuration, BIOS/CSM-Systems are booted with Syslinux and UEFI systems are booted with GRUB. The latter works technically well for me - even if it's not made for people with high aesthetic demands ;~}

Advantages and Disadvantages:What I wrote above the other way around.

Thanks to those who answered my questions.