Re: 32-bit efi

Hello,

On 25 November 2015 at 19:10, ... <offonoffoffonoff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I saw that jnqnfe was making progress on efi at
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2015/02/msg00038.html
>
> I'm trying to boot a live usb on a tablet currently.  The multi-arch install
> iso does boot on tablets with 32bit efi:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/release/current/multi-arch/iso-cd/
>
> 1) does anyone have any advice on how I could hack together a live usb to
> test on this tablet? 3.x is okay.
>
> 2) I'd like to put a good word in for adding the 32 bit efi (multi-arch)
> into the live build as an option so long as y'all are working on adding efi
> in general.

The general idea is

1) make a bootable CD/usb stick/... with syslinux for your platform

2) copy the live files and syslinux configuration from a live medium

3) test that the medium boots

4) figure out if the EFI bootloader and BIOS bootloader can coexist on
single medium

5) make a script for automating 1)

failing 1) do

1 alt) make bootable CD/usb stick/.. with grub for your platform
1 alt continued) fix grub support in debian-live

The problem with EFI support is few people actually need it and are
willing to test prototypes of it.

There are some people who hacked together support for a particular
device but did not bother to do 5)

Thanks

Michal