Re: live-wrapper - RFE - Arch boot automatic detection

On 18/11/15 07:15 PM, Michael . wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong but I'm not sure this is the right list for
> this. Live Wrapper and Live build are 2 separate projects run by, or
> at least they were until Live Build has been discontinued, 2 differnt
> groups.

First of all, to clarify, "Live Build has been discontinued" is not yet
reality. It is slated to be replace as the software to build official
Debian Live CDs, but that doesn't mean that the software suddenly ceases
to exist. It will continue to be supported here the best we can, as I've
written about here before.

In my opinion, this is also the right list to support live-wrapper. It
is written here:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/

      Discussion and maintenance of the Debian Live systems

Development of the Debian Live systems (i.e. live cds).

The list is run by the Debian project for the purpose of supporting the
development and maintenance of "the Debian Live systems". That is not
clearly defined, but by the use of the definite article "the", some
specific software is implied. Since live-build is the specific software
that the current Debian Live CDs is built with, and live-wrapper is the
specific software that the Debian CD team intends to use to replace it,
it is a reasonable interpretation of "the Debian Live systems" as being
systems that are built with either software, the old and the new.

> If you want to message the Live Wrapper group I suggest you contact
> Debian CD and ask them what list is appropriate for your ideas and
> patches.

I don't see any justification for splitting our pool of expertise across
two disjoint groups. In coming months we will likely need to have many
conversations involving both the old and the new, and the resulting
cross-posting between groups would just be confusing, and hamper
development going forward.

Ben