Re: lb build failing

On Fri, 2015-02-20 at 15:28 -0600, Kent Tenney wrote:
> My goal is to generate boot cd's with my code available, the distro
> isn't a big deal, however I'm used to Ubuntu.

Okay, well, considering the issues you're having here, and considering
that Ubuntu support in live-build is best effort only, and may likely
break shortly with some particular changes to be added to live-build
which are incompatible with Ubuntu (until they get their act together on
archive layout), it might be best for you to switch to Debian for this.

> Right, the germane package seems to be syslinux
> 'aptitude search isolinux' returns
> syslinux-common: /usr/lib/syslinux/isolinux.bin
>
> and with syslinux installed, 'locate isolinux' returns
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/install.cfg
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/isolinux.bin
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/live.cfg.in
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/menu.cfg
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/splash.svg.in
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/stdmenu.cfg
> /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/vesamenu.c32
>
> I've tried to follow the binary_syslinux script without success.
>
> Would the output of
> # strace -etrace=file lb binary_syslinux
>
> be of interest?

No, that won't be useful here, thanks anyway. I see the problem though.

Firstly, when I previously searched the Ubuntu archive, I overlooked the
fact that the search box by default had 'trusty' selected, I think I
must have assumed it had 'any' selected, which then led me to believe
that Ubuntu had no isolinux package whatsoever. In fact checking again,
there is actually an isolinux package in the Ubuntu archives, but only
for utopic and vivid.

The reason for it being missing for trusty is that the files contained
in the isolinux package were split out into their own isolinux package
in (Debian) syslinux v3:6.00~pre4+dfsg-5, as you can see in the
changelog ([1]):

"Splitting out isolinux into own package for syslinux-installer and
debian-live usage."

So the syslinux package collection available in the Ubuntu archives for
trusty must pre-date this.

live-build v4.0.5 expects this isolinux package to exist, and is
incompatible with the old package setup (it makes no attempt to apply a
special case for Ubuntu trusty, leaving support for that broken).

So now we know the cause, the solution is either to a) apply a hack to
live build to get the old package instead of the newer 'isolinux'
package, or b) upgrade from using trusty to utopic. That is if you don't
want to switch to Debian.

[1]
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/s/syslinux/syslinux_6.03+dfsg-5_changelog