Re: lb build failing

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM, jnqnfe <jnqnfe@gmail.com> wrote:
> (@Kent, you forgot to cc the live list!)

Dang, I often do that.

> Switching to Debian would be a rather drastic decision based solely off
> of small troubles generating an Ubuntu live-CD, but it's your decision
> to make.

Right, I thought the mood might be "don't go bothering us with Ubuntu
issues, this is a Debian project" I'm glad that isn't the case.

My goal is to generate boot cd's with my code available, the distro
isn't a big deal, however I'm used to Ubuntu.

> Do understand that Ubuntu and Debian deliver updates on
> different schedules, so you may want to factor that in to your decision.
> Really this is a separate discussion though.
>
> Do note that once my #718225 (secure downloads) solution eventually gets
> accepted, until Ubuntu bring there repos properly into line with the
> Debian layout (as they are supposed to, and afaik they still haven't yet
> conformed to the latest changes), you will not be able to build an
> Ubuntu live-CD with live-build (versions containing this improvement),
> as long as live-build is configured to download things securely.
>
> Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Understand that live-build does a
> lot of things in a chroot environment, including downloading, installing
> and running many of the tools it uses to complete its job. So installing
> syslinux/isolinux in your host isn't going to have any affect;
> live-build needs to be able to download it from within the chroot it
> creates and uses. You could, rather than using 'lb build', run each of
> the individual 2nd-level sub-scripts the build script runs, manually,
> pausing to manually install isolinux in the chroot after the bootstrap
> one, thus getting around the issue of it not being able to download, if
> you really had to and if you can manually get it downloaded.
>
> However, I'd prefer to explore why it is that live-build is simply
> failing to be able to actually find and download isolinux. If we search
> the Ubuntu archive for isolinux [1], boom, there you go, Ubuntu do not
> (currently) have an isolinux package.

Right, the germane package seems to be syslinux
'aptitude search isolinux' returns
syslinux-common: /usr/lib/syslinux/isolinux.bin

and with syslinux installed, 'locate isolinux' returns
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/install.cfg
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/isolinux.bin
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/live.cfg.in
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/menu.cfg
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/splash.svg.in
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/stdmenu.cfg
/usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/isolinux/vesamenu.c32

I've tried to follow the binary_syslinux script without success.

Would the output of
# strace -etrace=file lb binary_syslinux

be of interest?

Thanks,
Kent

 Why, I don't have a clue.