Re: lb build failing

(@Kent, you forgot to cc the live list!)

Switching to Debian would be a rather drastic decision based solely off
of small troubles generating an Ubuntu live-CD, but it's your decision
to make. Do understand that Ubuntu and Debian deliver updates on
different schedules, so you may want to factor that in to your decision.
Really this is a separate discussion though.

Do note that once my #718225 (secure downloads) solution eventually gets
accepted, until Ubuntu bring there repos properly into line with the
Debian layout (as they are supposed to, and afaik they still haven't yet
conformed to the latest changes), you will not be able to build an
Ubuntu live-CD with live-build (versions containing this improvement),
as long as live-build is configured to download things securely.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Understand that live-build does a
lot of things in a chroot environment, including downloading, installing
and running many of the tools it uses to complete its job. So installing
syslinux/isolinux in your host isn't going to have any affect;
live-build needs to be able to download it from within the chroot it
creates and uses. You could, rather than using 'lb build', run each of
the individual 2nd-level sub-scripts the build script runs, manually,
pausing to manually install isolinux in the chroot after the bootstrap
one, thus getting around the issue of it not being able to download, if
you really had to and if you can manually get it downloaded.

However, I'd prefer to explore why it is that live-build is simply
failing to be able to actually find and download isolinux. If we search
the Ubuntu archive for isolinux [1], boom, there you go, Ubuntu do not
(currently) have an isolinux package. Why, I don't have a clue.
live-build does have the ability to go into 'derivative' mode, and thus
look for packages from two different repos, the derivative dist repo and
from a parent repo (e.g. Debian), which assuming no compatability issues
could work, however this is turned off for Ubuntu, so isn't going to
help here. You need to ask the Ubuntu folks why they have no isolinux
package.

There have been one or two people recently at least here on the live
mailing list who have I believe successfully built Ubuntu images with
live-build, so I don't know if Ubuntu have recently removed isolinux
from their archives, or otherwise what is going on. Perhaps one or more
of these individuals could please speak up and shed some light on
things?

[1]
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=isolinux&searchon=names&suite=trusty&section=all