Re: method for getting speak and espeakup into a debian live image

To elaborate, what I have done (and seen other do) is:

- In the root of your build directory, create a directory named: hooks
- Create a file in the hooks folder. Mine is called stripped.hook.chroot
 - mkdir hooks ; cd hooks
 - touch stripped.hook.chroot
- Edit the new file, and add the following:

## stripped.hook.chroot
#!/bin/sh

set -e

# Download deb files to tmp dir
echo download espeakup
wget -nv -O /tmp/espeakup_deb_filename.deb
http://download.location.for.espeakup.deb

echo download speak
wget -nv -O /tmp/speak_deb_filename.deb
http://download.location.for.speak.deb

# Install debs
echo install espeakup
gdebi -n -q /tmp/espeakup_deb_filename.deb
echo install speak
gdebi -n -q /tmp/speak_deb_filename.deb

# Remove deb files
rm /tmp/espeakup_deb_filename.deb
rm /tmp/speak_deb_filename.deb

# End of stripped.hook.chroot

- Now create a symlink in build_dir/config/hooks:
 - cd ../config/hooks ; ln -s ../../hooks/stripped.hook.chroot
0500-stripped.hook.chroot

What will this do? It will download the required files you want (espeakup
and speak) then us gdebi to install them in your chroot during the build
process, and then remove the deb files from your live chroot /tmp location.

I have used the same script to install chrome and some other apps that I
can’t use the traditional package-lists method. Good luck!

Stick with it - this is a very powerful and useful set of scripts. I have
only been using it for a bit now but have had a good time,solved some
issues, and learned a TON - and more learning is coming… :)

Again, good luck, and cheers!

-Zed