Re: customize bootloader

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Federico Bruni <fede@inventati.org> wrote:
> Hi all

Hi,

> I'm trying to customize the bootloader following the instructions in the
> manual:
> http://live.debian.net/manual/current/html/live-manual.en.html#607

I have been meaning to improve that chapter for some time. Especially
the last paragraph:

http://live.debian.net/manual/current/html/live-manual.en.html#613

which would benefit from a longer explanation. But it was a last
minute modification so it is in a poor state. I've got it in my todo
and I hope I'll be able to explain it better someday.

> I want to change the icon and the name of the project.
> I've copied all the files in /usr/share/live/build/bootloaders/syslinux in
> config/bootloaders/syslinux and I've modified splash.svg (just replaced the
> icon). But the built image keeps showing the old splashscreen.
>
> Also, how @PROJECT@ and @VERSION@ (in svg file) are replaced? There's a file
> where I can set a different name? Maybe in /etc?

You want to take a look at the binary_syslinux script. You'll
understand it better:

http://live-systems.org/gitweb/?p=live-build.git;a=blob;f=scripts/build/binary_syslinux;h=4cb18b00d995d50c6213e8d1175d54761f9ff13d;hb=HEAD

> I see that the documentation suggests using a png file for the splash. Then
> I wonder why there's an SVG in /usr/share... it's just a template to be
> modified?

Usually the splash.svg is converted into an splash.png file:

Chroot chroot "rsvg-convert --format png --height 480 --width 640
splash.svg -o splash.png"

I hope this helps.

--
chals