Re: Add live-medium-install and webboot information to live-manual?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM, chals <chals@chalsattack.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Richard Nelson <unixabg@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM, chals <chals@chalsattack.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Should these topics, in this case live-medium-install and webbooting
>>> be covered in live-manual?
>>

>> I personally think it would be a great addition, but live-medium-install is
>> currently in live-tools debian-next branch. To me it seems out of work flow
>> a bit to include manual information on items not in debian branch for
>> releases.
>>

> You are absolutely right in respect to the debian-next branch. But the
> concern was also with the webboot images, which have been around (as
> in offered for download in the website) since the release of wheezy.

[...]
> I also offer to help in whatever I can do. But we should, in my humble
> opinion, definitely add it to the todo.

Since we already agreed not to add stuff that is still on the
debian-next branch until it migrates to the debian one, which makes
perfect sense, be warned that the following is nothing but something
that I propose to add when that happens.

I think I have a possible use case which could perfectly fit in the
examples section of live-manual which would include the handling of
webboot images and the use of live-medium-install. A quick outline
could be:

- Find the images in the build environment or extract them (both
methods are perfectly scriptable)
- Rename the webboot images
- Upload them to your own server
- Use live-medium-install to retrieve the webboot images from your
server and install the firmware to real hardware using persistence (in
this case a usb stick) and perhaps tweaking some of the bootappend
options

While we are at it. I noticed that the name of the project is harcoded
in the files that live-medium-install expects to find.

_FILES="debian-live-${_VERSION}-${_ARCH}-${_CONFIGTYPE}.vmlinuz${_FLAVOUR}
debian-live-${_VERSION}-${_ARCH}-${_CONFIGTYPE}.initrd${_FLAVOUR}.img
debian-live-${_VERSION}-${_ARCH}-${_CONFIGTYPE}.squashfs"

I think it would be better to add a variable, say
_PROJECT="debian-live" in the defaults section of the script to make
the life of all other derivative projects easier
http://live.debian.net/project/downstream/

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Have a nice weekend :)

--
chals
www.chalsattack.com