Re: Add live-medium-install and webboot information to live-manual?

Greetings,

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM, chals <chals@chalsattack.com> wrote:
This message is in reference to this one:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-live/2014/04/msg00027.html sent to the
mailing list by Richard.

This is a new thread in order not to mix topics. Quote from the above
linked message:

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Richard Nelson <unixabg@gmail.com> wrote:

> On a bit of a side note, when live-medium-install started it just booted iso
> files, but with the wonderful live-boot 3x, you can stack partial squashfs
> updates as service packs or custom settings. So now live-medium-install uses
> the webboot files as a basis for the install.

On this matter, I will comment a bit more below on the PS point.

Should these topics, in this case live-medium-install and webbooting
be covered in live-manual?

I personally think it would be a great addition, but live-medium-install is currently in live-tools debian-next branch. To me it seems out of work flow a bit to include manual information on items not in debian branch for releases.

I believe Daniel makes the decision on what moves from debian-next branch to debian branch when ready.

Daniel, do you believe live-medium-install ready for migration from debian-next branch to debian branch of live-tools?

And if so, Richard, would you like to have
a go?

I would be willing to assist, as time permits, since I think the tool very valuable. Please know I am not the best manual writer even though I am supposed to know English. ;)

Have a nice day :)

PS, There are several other interesting scripts in live-tools, perhaps
the question should be more general and apply to other topics and not
exclusively to the ones mentioned above.

On this point, the other script that I submitted to compliment live-medium-install called live-partial-squashfs-updates:

 http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=bin/live-partial-squashfs-updates;hb=refs/heads/debian-next

I believe worth considering to migrate to debian branch as well. Since it was designed in mind to compliment the deployments of live-medium-install firmware systems. The script is used to build partial-squashfs-updates (psu files, I call them), this combined with the wonderful live-boot 3x is great way to have a stable release as firmware and ship out service packs or minor adjustments on top.

Thank you for the dialog and consideration on these scripts to migrate to the debian branch of live-tools for release and the possible inclusion in the manual.