Re: trying to make a wifi-capable live-cd

On 18 February 2014 16:36, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 10:38 PM, ninja@cock.li wrote:
>> Question: how can I reconcile the above datum with, "because there's
>> currently no debian-installer in jessie"?

> Finally, on the matter of finding snapshots of old installer images that
> might work, there is a *slim* chance that might work, but I give it poor
> odds. A netinst not only depends on the packages within the netinst
> itself working, but also on the software selected during installation
> being installable on a given day. With multiple transitions in progress
> at this development stage, you can't always depend on that, so a netinst
> image built in December and working in December may not still work today.

It is very unlikely that this will work.

Installer depends on special installer packages - udebs. These are
built from normal source packages. These packages are updated as new
revisions of packages migrate into testing. A particular version of
the package is hardcoded into the installer. The installer is not in
the archive so its dependencies cannot be tracked by the archive. Even
when the installer is released and present in the archive the archive
still does not track the installer dependencies. Because of this even
released testing installer images are often broken. Well, most of the
time in my experience. The required packages are simply deleted from
the debian archive during a package update.

Thanks

Michal