Re: Bug: config/apt/preferences ignored

On 20/08/2013 15:23, Ben Armstrong wrote:
On 08/20/2013 09:56 AM, Robert Spencer wrote:

Okay, but in my defense I wasn't filing a bug. I wanted confirmation
whether I'd found one.

cron:
   Installed: 3.0pl1-124
   Candidate: 3.0pl1-124
   Package pin: 3.0pl1-124
   Version table:
  *** 3.0pl1-124 -1
         500 http://cdn.idms-linux.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

rsyslog and logrotate are also "-1". So not a bug, just extremely
irritating.

OK. So then we look at why it's installed. 'aptitude why' could illuminate.

Nice. Didn't know that one.

According to aptitude:

logrotate depends on cron.
rsyslog recommends logrotate.
cron suggests logrotate.

Non are marked as being automatically installed. There are no other
dependencies on those packages.

All of them are priority "important". This is why it's important to
examine your build log before reporting. If you had done that, you would
see they are all installed in the bootstrap phase, so none of your apt
pinning has any affect on that.

Okay. Noted.

What would you say is the right way to get rid of packages you don't
want installed?

It depends on where they are included. In this specific case, exclude
them from your bootstrap. Use DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTIONS environment variable;
see debootstrap(8) man page for what can go in here, specifically the
--exclude option in your case.

This is an unpublished option obeyed by
/usr/lib/live/build/scripts/bootstrap_debootstrap. Be aware:

a) unpublished options like this are subject to change without notice in
future versions; they go in the environment of your build script, not in
the live config itself (hint: modify the environment of the build in
auto/build)

b) you need to use the default --bootstrap debootstrap option (if you
didn't change this from the default, there's nothing to do here :)

c) because the problem is in the bootstrap, make sure you start from a
completely clean build tree (i.e. 'lb clean --purge') so the bootstrap
will be rebuilt

Thank you. It's all working nicely now.

--
Robert Spencer