Re: large /pool folder in the iso image

Hello Ben, thank you for your reply.

>First of all, what's with putting the whole message in the Subject:
>field of your email? I had to copy and hand reformat the whole thing
>below. Please don't let that happen again.

Re: formatting. I use Gmail for this. When I hit compose I had a screen pop up I have never seen before. I used the only available spot, sorry if that caused you undue grief.

>You may have forgotten to 'lb clean' between builds. You should include
>your log.

I do lb clean every  time, I have started new folders using the auto and config I attached that never got through, did you get the screenshot?

The files sizes are "auto config" 960 B, "config.tar.gz." 24.7 kB, and "screenshot" 76 kB. My apology if 960 B is to big for the list please find them at these links auto config https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30169329/config , config.tar.gz https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30169329/config.tar.gz , screenshot https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30169329/Screenshot-uluru-mate-core-i386.iso%20%5Bread%20only%5D.png,

>Not from that list itself, no. But maybe for other reasons (such as
>missing 'lb clean' and previously using '.list' by mistake instead of
>'.list.chroot').

I'll make this perfectly clear. This occurs with a new fresh Debian install and new fresh install of Live Build that has never been used. I have not used  just ".list" by mistake for over 12 months. I used name.list.chroot. for all but the ndis.list.binary.

>A directory listing of the pool would be useful.

Please refer to the pool.txt link above.

>Retest, making sure you 'lb clean' first. Then if it still fails,
include the information indicated above in the manner I requested.

I have been doing this since last year religiously using lb clean (even on new installs), lb config, and then lb build. Nothing changes. I am presenting the information the best way I can but may need some guidance. Please note nothing fails, I get a working iso after the process is complete my only concern is the size of the pool folder and from my understanding I shouldn;t have a pool folder for anything but ndis packages and its dependencies. If I do have a pool folder it should not be as big as it is when my package.list are name.list.chroot apart from ndis.list.binary. I see many packages are .udeb files so I am assuming they are required to install the live image onto a hard drive but I wonder if this is the case for the .deb files. if it is not how can I minimise this, maybe, wasted resource

>Thanks. You should always specify the live-build version#, as shown by
>"dpkg -l live-build" just to be completely unambiguous.

Here is my dpkg -l live-build

uluru-mate@michael-laptop:~$ dpkg -l live-build
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  live-build     3.0.5-1      all          Live System Build Scripts
uluru-mate@michael-laptop:~$

Cheers.

P.S. Sorry about the previous message only going to you.

On 26/06/13 06:21 AM, Michael . wrote:
> Re: Trying to build minimal live cd but get large /pool folder in the >
iso image.

You may have forgotten to 'lb clean' between builds. You should include
your log.

> Please find attached my auto config and also my config
> folder (tar.gz).

No, we never received any message from you with either of these things.
If your config was particularly large, it may have been rejected by the
mailing list software due to size. Please post at a publicly accessible
location instead. You should also post your log.

> As far as I am aware if I use packages.list.chroot I
> should not get a pool folder.

Not from that list itself, no. But maybe for other reasons (such as
missing 'lb clean' and previously using '.list' by mistake instead of
'.list.chroot').

> I do have a ndis.list.binary for
> ndiswrapper packages but would not expect to get a /pool folder of
> 195.2 MB.

A directory listing of the pool would be useful.

> Is there something I can do to minimise this? Let me know
> what other information you need to know and I'll do what I can to get
> it asap.

Retest, making sure you 'lb clean' first. Then if it still fails,
include the information indicated above in the manner I requested.

> I forgot to add, sorry, that this is in Wheezy using Wheezy LiveBuild.

Thanks. You should always specify the live-build version#, as shown by
"dpkg -l live-build" just to be completely unambiguous.

Ben