Re: Most of the time trouble booting USB hybrid image

On 07/05/13 03:35 AM, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> not that it matters much or that i'd care much about it, and regardless
> of any technical differences between copying by dd or by cp.. but 'cp'
> in this case has always had some misleading taste to me.. making
> inexperienced users wrongly think that they copy the image to the device
> filesystem preserving its other content, rather than overwriting the
> device with the content of the image.

The dd syntax is awkward, and unless you use bs= as well, very
inefficient. So long as the documentation unambiguously says to copy to
the device not to a filesystem, I have no problem with 'cp'. It's easier
to remember, easier to type, and efficient. Plus, I just don't see a
reason to diverge from the rest of Debian with our recommendation.

Ben