Re: A reasonable use of a "live image"?

On 02/27/2013 09:00 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Ronny Standtke wrote:
>> Just create a "live-rw" partition on your hard drive. This will be
>> picked up by live-boot as the persistence layer.
>
> I'm missing something there. How?

Create a new partition on your hard drive (gparted is good for this; as
always with such operations, make sure you have good backups), put a
filesystem on it (e.g. mkfs.ext4) and label it 'live-rw' (e.g. with
'e2label').

> If I read that page correctly, "swapon" is something that has to be
> specified when initially creating the live image.

Not necessarily. live-boot operates using boot parameters. These can be
edited after the image is built one of these ways:

- at the boot prompt, press tab and append the parameter
- mount the live image and edit the boot parameters to make the change
permanent (assumes the live image is editable, e.g. -b hdd)

> I was looking for a means to use a unmodified image from debian.org .
> If I can't, it is not a deal breaker as:
>   1. I was intending to learn how to create my own live systems anyway.
>   2. I am a retiree learning the guts of Debian via a large dose of
> experimentation.

Certainly building your own images is easy and rewarding. It is the
recommended way to make customizations.

Ben