Re: A reasonable use of a "live image"?

Hello Richard

On 02/26/2013 05:22 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
[...]
> I have two problems to address:
>
> I.  Creating media in a Windows(tm) *ONLY* environment.
[...]
> Is there a native Windows method to accomplish the same thing as
[...]
> # dd if=debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdX
[...]

There actually does exist a dd for windows. You may download this zip-file

http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.6beta3.zip

extract the including dd.exe to any location (preferably somewhere in
the command search-path) and should be able to just use it (no
installation needed) in a command window.
For "of=..." you have to use the drive-letter of the USB stick (e.g.
"of=f:").

> II.   It would be convenient to have a Live Distro reside on a USB stick
> but have "persistence" and "swap" reside on a local harddrive. I would
> want the USB stick to wander between machines and possibly transport
> data files. Is this feasible?

Sorry I am not able to help you with this.

Greetings
Hermann