Re: Source style regarding here-documents

On 12/26/2012 01:46 PM, Daniel Reichelt wrote:
> to me, 'posix subset' for 'bootstrap tools' doesn't make much sense here. [..]
> The bootstrapping environment on the other hand would be a full-blown
> Debian installation.

it is in the debian case, yes, however, live-build has always been ment
to be run any linux distribution (that has debootstrap installed, and a
posix compatible shell) in order to build a debian image. currently, we
do not want to require a debian installation to build a debian image.

in future, at some point, when live-build eventually gets rewriten in
python (which is the plan for a couple of years already, but we never
got arround yet and the runtime tools (live-{boot,config}) have higher
priority anyway to be done 'right' first, as they impact all users all
the time they use an image, rather than only those that build images
from time to time; and for which we first need to transition within the
4.x cycle to the 'definitive' config/* design within live-build, before
'rewriting' its implementation), that will be come moot anyway.

but until then, i do not think it makes much sense to 'give up' the
advantage of having a 'posix shell only' requirement for almost no
benefit. when requiring python at a later point (in 5.x most likely),
the benefits of the increased requirement will outweight that (by having
the possibility of higher level APIs for proper GUI and Web frontends
and such).

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net