Re: Almost working...custom kernel with local apt repository as recommended in manual

On 21 October 2012 17:37, Daniel Baumann
<daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
> On 10/21/2012 05:06 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> It seems neither kernel-package
>> nor initramfs-tools maintainers are really willing to work on fixing
>> initramfs bugs related to kernel-package built kernels and will just
>> blame the issue on the other package or lack of user experience or
>> w/e.
>
> well, using kernel-package has always been very bad anyway for
> customization/derivatives (no proper source packages, no proper
> integration, etc.), yet people keep using it out of habit.
>
> we do not "support" that in live-build either (by including hacks to
> workaround the deficiences in kernel-package), we do require the user to
> have provided proper kernel packages, either by using them from the
> archive or having them build from src:linux.
>
> also, it's not hard to use the proper src:linux packages to build a
> complete set of custom kernels, there's even kernel-handbook, so yes..
> i'd say it's lack of user experience

Personally I can't recommend using src:linux. The disk space and cpu
time required to build a kernel with that is an order of magnitude
higher than with kernel-package. Also src:linux is a big tarball of a
kernel and Debian files while kernel-package adds Debian files to any
kernel tree that you can reasonably expect to build giving you the
ability to easily build really custom kernels (eg. upstream git
branches).

The src:linux packaging provides scripts that are supposed to allow
for that but will require quite a bit extra resources nonetheless.

Thanks

Michal