Re: Almost working...custom kernel with local apt repository as recommended in manual

On 19 October 2012 21:23, Amit <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have built custom kernel, pushed it to the local apt repository and
> the kernel installs successfully. However, in the binary linux image
> state, I get an error regarding missing initrd-*.
>
> After digging deeper, the initrd is only generated if the
> /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools script exists during the kernel
> install. However, when building the live image, the custom kernel is
> installed before *initramfs-tools* package (which is where the
> /etc/kernel/...) scripts come from.
>
> Any ideas on why the order is not as it should be?

If you built with kernel-package you need the --initrd parameter for
initrd to be built.

Even then with some combination of kernel-package and initramfs-tools
the initrd is not built so if it's the case just write a hook to build
an initrd for every kernel installed. It seems neither kernel-package
nor initramfs-tools maintainers are really willing to work on fixing
initramfs bugs related to kernel-package built kernels and will just
blame the issue on the other package or lack of user experience or
w/e.

If you built with make deb in kernel tree .. that's just useless. No
configurability, no docs, nothing. Sadly, kernel-package is supposedly
deprecated in favour of this useless upstream feature.

HTH

Michal