Re: Decision 3 - Name of /lib/live/mount/image

On 10/06/2012 08:16 PM, pub@leledy.fr wrote:
> -3- the FS that initramfs mount as /

i was only thinking about 3 anyway, yes.

specifically: the *base* filesystem, not even persistency (for that, we
do support 'different than boot medium' media.

but again, to be more precisely: how (and why?) would you support to get
the base system (not 'additional partial fs images', and not persistence
layers) from more than one medium at the same time?

i'm not sure i can find a use case for that. size limitations (where one
would boot from a businesscard cdrom and 'plugin' the second half of the
fs from e.g. a network share can be done by a read-only persistent layer
already) is definitely not it.

> I'm thinking about flexibility, at point -3- ( which is the job of
> live-boot). Only because Daniel's thoughts was about long term, I
> imagined that some time in the future it would be nice to use last
> minute update to the stack FS mounted as root at point -3-

the use for having a directory where we know that there's the boot
medium mounted is, to be able to do updates to it (e.g. when kernel gets
upgraded in the live system when using persistency).

> My students use the live-usb I made for them months ago. But today I
> have a better /etc/emacs/site-start/ script that I would like them to
> experiment with. It would be fine if, in the classroom, if I could start
> a TFP server for holding this little piece of the stack FS that
> live-boot mount as root.

it shoudn't be hard to make that work. not sure i get to it anytime
soone, so no promise, but i'll try to remember to add some documentation
in live-boot and/or live-manual for such use cases.

--
Address:        Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern
Email:          daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net