Re: Decision 2 - Name and number of /live/filesystem.* on live media

On 3 October 2012 13:44, Daniel Baumann
<daniel.baumann@progress-technologies.net> wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 12:47 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>> How many layers would a live system with multitude of
>> squashfs images and multitude of persistence layers have?
>
> in the gnome-desktop case, that would be 3
> (base+standard+gnome-desktop), plus one for persistence (when using full
> or only one-directory (home) persistence).
>
> so.. in the default (=official images) cases, below 5. that should work,
> right?

That does not include the rw overlays. Still should not overflow any
reasonable overlay implementation.

>> 2) composing multiple squashfs images is not always practical.
>
> we're not talking about 'allways', we're talking about 'defaults'.
>
> talking about 'default' means, that you'll allways be able to change to
> one squashfs image if that's suitable for your use case.

I don't see how well this fits with just building a custom image. You
will likely not be able to reuse the 'standard' image from official
builds. Generating multiple files increases size and other overheads,
not decreases.

Thanks

Michal