Re: RFC: persistence improvements plans

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:42:37 +0100
Jean-Michel Philippe <jean-michel.philippe@doudoulinux.org> wrote:

> > This menu is called tails-greeter and is not ready to be released yet.
> > We'll use it for much more than persistence.
> >
> > Details:
> >
> >   https://tails.boum.org/todo/boot_menu/
> >   https://tails.boum.org/todo/TailsGreeter/
>
> Very interesting indeed. I think we'll have similar issues in the future
> for DoudouLinux. Currently we have per-language CD's but we intend to
> offer one day a multi-language DVD with more applications. Our concern
> will be to ship an easy tool to set language, run during CD start,
> preferably with audio output to tell the name of the selected language
> to children who cannot read.
An audo selection "menu". I like that!

> Moreover getting rid of GDM is something I've ever thought, despite I
> have no idea on how to do this without breaking the session mechanics. I
> guess most of LiveCD's don't want a login screen since users aren't
> asked for a user name and a password. This is then a must have tool for
> Debian live in my opinion.
My project, ButtonOS, is based on LXDE, but the idea of auto starting an X session
with an arbitrary application ( in my case iceweasel) and having no login is implemented
there.
The key to it is remembering the difference between a "session manager", the "window manager",
and "display manager".
I believe that starting X directly, and using xinit mechanisms to start a session manager does
what you need.

Thanks
Joe