Need advices about persistence using snapshots

  I want to run debian live on a usb flash drive, and using  snapshots as the persistence method is the natural choice since it will minimize the frequence in which writes are made to the disk.
  After reading debian live documentation about snapshots, I began to wonder if it is possible to setup the system in such a way that when I invoke 'live-snapshot --refresh', it will rsync the contents of tmpfs cow to another rw filesystem sitting in a layer below the tmpfs cow and then delete tmpfs, thus freeing memory.
  Since this is the first time I'm using a live cd for work, I was hoping to get some advice on how I can optimize the system in such as way that it uses the minimum possible memory and at the same time preserves my flash drive.

 Thanks in advance.