Re: Renovate debian-live wiki?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Ben Armstrong
<synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On 23/01/11 10:37 AM, Charles Russell wrote:
>
>> "I don't understand what you think is different about the live system
>> that the wiki doesn't address. Maybe you could furnish a particular
>> example to help me understand?"
>>
>> 1) I want to run debian from a thumb drive.  Which files do I need, and
>> what do I do with them?
>
> Take any of the hybrid iso live images and dd it to the drive. Boot it
> and you're up and running. I don't think deep structural changes to the
> Debian wiki are needed to say that. Just a brief mention in the
> appropriate place.

I've recently started using Debian via the live releases that are
available via http://live.debian.net/.  I ran into some of the issues
that Charles addresses.  I'd be happy to contribute to improving the
documentation based on what I've learned.  What I'm wondering is
"where to put it"?

I get it that it should go somewhere off of http://www.debian.org/.
The "Getting Debian" section (http://www.debian.org/distrib/) seems
like a candidate.

Alternately, the Debian installation manual
(http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual) has some
information about installation and booting from a thumb drive, but I
don't think I see any specifics with respect to directly using the
live releases available at http://live.debian.net/.  Would using such
an image really be considered an installation?  I could add to the
"Installation HowTo" appendix if appropriate.

Csaba