Re: Is live-boot-initramfs-tools multi-layer ready

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 08:54:50 +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:

>> Hope that someday live-build can build multiple layers too. It's
>> nothing fancy/special for the 2nd layer and up, just chroot
>> intall/config, that's it.
> the proble is not creating the multiple layers, but . . .
> unless someone comes up with a smart idea for both of these fundamental
> problems, live-build won't support it.

I understand that it might be too difficult for live-tools to do it, but,

>   * how to let the user define in a sane way which stuff should go to
>     which layer.

If you go with FAI based installation, this will be a piece of cake. Take
grml-live for example, all user have to do is just to prepare package
lists of which ones go to which layer, and grml-live can handle the rest.

>   * supporting stacked squashfs in live-installer, otherwise the image
>     can't be installed, and using aufs in d-i is probably not possible,

I think it really depends upon whether you want to do it or not. There is
always ways to do it if you want to do it. FYI, this is how I prepare my
stacked squashfs, seems simple enough for me:

ln -s depen64.squashfs depen64_1live.squashfs
ls depen64_*.squashfs | tee 2desk.module

ls depen64_1live.squashfs xpt-*.squashfs | tee xpt_1live.module
ls depen64_*.squashfs xpt-*.squashfs | tee xpt_2desk.module

$ cat xpt_2desk.module

On reading your message again, I realized that don't quite understand
what you mean by "the image can't be installed" because I doesn't have
live-installer installed and I can't find a man page for that either.

- For frugal installation, you just need to copy all files under /live.
- For real installation, you don't need to care for anything -- aufs
layers everything for you one on top of the other so you will get an
exact copy of what you've been building.

Did you mean something else?

Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)