Re: 1TB USB HD doesn't boot

first dd if=debian-live-503-i386-rescue.img of=/dev/sdb
then I created a extended partition with logical partition with fdisk
then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5

My first thoughts why it doesn't boot was the extra partition I made, so I tried it again without the extra partitions.
But the result was the same as before.

Maybe, if you haven't already tried, is to see if you can boot off the drive with some other non-debian live OS on it and see if you can even boot off of the drive that way. This could possibly help narrow down the issue at least.

--
Romeo Theriault