Re: 1TB USB HD doesn't boot

I have a 1TB external USB-HD and would like to have debian rescue as boot partition and the rest as ext3 partition.
I can't boot from the USB-HD.

how did you put the image to the disk, first dd'ing the image, and then creating the second partition?

first dd if=debian-live-503-i386-rescue.img of=/dev/sdb
then I created a extended partition with logical partition with fdisk
then mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5

My first thoughts why it doesn't boot was the extra partition I made, so I tried it again without the extra partitions.
But the result was the same as before.