From: Daniel Baumann [daniel@debian.org]
Sent: 17 November 2009 12:25
To: Debian Live
Subject: Re: debootstrap doesn't use configured categories/components

Kai Hendry wrote:
> Instead I propose a parameter expansion. I'm a little wary of
> parameter expansions as I rarely seem them in other shells except
> bash, hence aren't they bashisms?

in general, expansions are not bashisms. some of them are posix (like
the 'simple' ones: ${foo:-bar} etc.).

it's not accurate and covers false negatives, but a rule of thumb is
that expansions of the form ${foo:#sign#bar} (where '#sign#' is
something like -, +, #, etc.) are posix, whereas everything else is a
special feature of the respective shell.

> DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTIONS="${DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTIONS} --components
> ${LH_ARCHIVE_AREAS//[[:space:]]/,}"

however, this specific one is a bashism.

> There is still a trailing comma if someone does a trailing space, e.g.
>
> --archive-areas "main contrib non-free "

yep, that sort of sucks as well. now that we are 'free' again to break
stuff in live-helper 2.0~a1 (where i'll be sending some roadmap and
ideas somewhen in the next days), we have the possibility of cleaning
that mess up and parse (and also sanitize) arguments/options once lh is
invoked (rather than for every helper).