Re: syslinux vs grub

On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 09:16:12AM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
> > What are the benefits of using syslinux vs grub on a live system?
>
> first, because it has better hardware compatibility, grub doesn't boot
> on a small subset of crappy/old/strange/weird machines where isolinux is
> able to boot. this might or might not be true for your use case.
>
> second, because it has greated flexibility (payloads available for iso,
> hdd, pxe etc.), because it has more features (hdt, if64, etc.) and
> because its menu system is far more advanced (simple menu, vesamenu,
> gfxboot, etc.)
>
> and third, its codebase is much better and its upstream author much more
> reactive.

Ah, there are lots of good reasons, I see.  I was wondering in part
because I see a lot of how-to's that use grub.

> > I'd like to configure syslinux to give me a menu of kernel choices (like
> > grub does on my non-live Lenny system).  If anybody out there has a
> > config file to share, I'd appreciate it.
>
> live-helper does by default configure syslinux for vesamenu.

I get a menu of sorts, but it doesn't contain any kernel choices  I see the F1-F10
menus for help, special boot parameters, etc.  I do not see the labels
mentioned in /live/image/syslinux/menu.cfg (such as "live-686" -- how can I correct this?

Thanks, from a syslinux newbie.

-Rob