syslinux vs grub

What are the benefits of using syslinux vs grub on a live system?  I'm
guessing that grub's device.map file might get confused when switching
between different computers that have varying numbers of physical drives
attached.  Am I right?  Any other significant differences?

I'd like to configure syslinux to give me a menu of kernel choices (like
grub does on my non-live Lenny system).  If anybody out there has a
config file to share, I'd appreciate it.

-Rob