Re: prevent udev from remembering eth0 (wicd problem)

Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> (03/11/2009):
> Thanks, that worked.  It seems a little heavy-handed, though.  Can
> you think of any side-effects this might have?

<full-disclosure>
I'm using this on something totally unrelated, which is starting all
the nodes of a cluster through a shared NFS root. With the
net-generator rules in place, that messes up interfaces (possibly,
each node should be using eth0), with the default eth0 to eth(N-1),
numbering, which breaks NFS clients badly.

In the above-mentioned conditions, I've never suffered from any
drawbacks, and that trick works very fine. I don't have much
experience in other setups, though.

Note that a consequence of using such a trick is that you'll have to
keep an eye on udev in further releases. In my case, I chose to delete
the file through find -name matching rather than through rm -rf'ing,
given that I want to make sure a file got removed. Further udev
versions already have seen files be moved elsewhere, possibly several
times.
</full-disclosure>

Cheers,
--