prevent udev from remembering eth0 (wicd problem)

I'm using Debian Lenny Live in persistent mode on a USB stick.  I'm using wicd
as my network manager.  The first computer I use gets eth0 assigned.
The second computer gets eth1 assigned.  (ethX are remembered in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules).

This causes me problems with wicd.  When I boot the second computer
(which has eth1), wicd thinks it needs to manage eth0.  This causes
major slowdowns.

How can I make Debian *not* remember the interfaces in
70-persistent-net.rules?  75-persistent-net-generator.rules seems like a
starting point, but I'm not brave enough to tinker w/ udev stuff yet...

Alternatively, how can I get wicd to not care which interface it is managing?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

-Rob