Re: Can't mount CIFS

Greetings,

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Juergen Fiedler
<juergen.fiedler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Richard Nelson <unixabg@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> No trace of any attempt to connect. I think it may have to do with the
>>> lack of /sbin/mount.cifs in the initrd.
>>> Is live-helper normally supposed to put that in the initrd if I
>>> specify cifs as the root filesystem, or do I have to add that to
>>> LH_LINUX_PACKAGES or someting?
>>
>> I asked on irc for you and I am informed that:
>>
>> smbfs gets installed by lh_chroot_hacks if LH_BINARY_IMAGES=net
>>
>> Below is an exert from lh_chroot_hacks that confirms that information:
>>
>> case "${LH_BINARY_IMAGES}" in
>>        net)
>>                if [ ! -f chroot/usr/bin/smbmount ]
>>                then
>>                        Apt install smbfs
>>                fi
>>
>> So it should be in there. Are you able to setup samba and test with it?
>
> I set up a Samba server on a Linux machine and shared the bootimage/
> from there. Again, I can browse through it with smbclient, but booting
> through PXE using the share as the nfsroot yields the same result.
> Most notably, the Samba server's log does not show any attempt to
> connect during the PXE boot, while the connection through smbclient
> was logged in great detail.
>
> I noticed that smbfs gets installed in the chroot, but doesn't
> mount.cifs still doesn't end up in the initrd image.
> How is the system going to boot the root fs if it has (while still
> running from the initrd) no way to access CIFS shares? I think this is
> where my big disconnect is.

I am not sure so someone else will have to comment on that. Perhaps if
you dropped in to busy box shell and snooped around. I got this tip
from panthera about how to do this:

busy box prompt
 sure, you can do
 append 'break=live-bottom' and it will 'fail' before live-bottom
 so that you can have a look and see yourself

Maybe that will offer some information.

> At this point, I would even go for NFS boot, but unfortunately, the
> necessity to run the PXE server from a Vista machine is not negotiable
> (i.e., not my choice at all) and nfsmount doesn't seem to play well
> with Cygwin's NFS server.

Could you test your setup with nfs, just to make sure all is working with nfs.