Re: USB stick boot error

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks, Yohann.
>
> Yohann Lepage wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> But i use an other way to install debian live on usb stick (because i
>> use 2 partitions)
>> -create binary.iso
>> -copy the content of iso in the usb stick
>> -install boot manager on usb stick
>> You can view an example here :
>> http://github.com/2xyo/satan/tree/master/install_satan.sh
>>

> I tried this method but I was unable to mount the .img file in an "img/"
> subdirectory - the filesystem type was not recognised.
>
>        # mount -o loop debian-live-sid-i386-xfce-desktop.img img
>        mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> I tried various options for "-t" eg "iso9660", "ext2", "msdos", but these also
> caused errors. What is the filesystem type of the .img file? I thought it might
> be a gzipped ext2 system, but I could not gunzip the image file either.

For this approach to work (easily), you'll have to create an ISO image
('-b iso' instead of '-b usb-hdd').
The image that is produced by '-b usb-hdd' is actually the image of a
whole drive, not just a partition, so it can't be mounted directly.
I believe you can get to the partition with some advanced losetup
magic, but from my own experience, the ISO approach seems much more
convenient.

Hope that helps,
 -Juergen