Re: Boot fails with "Can not mount .. /live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs on //filesystem.squashfs"

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 04:12:04PM EST, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > I have a feeling that this means that my binary.iso does not have
> > support for squashfs filesystems enabled.
>
> What makes you think this? Please provide more details.

Sorry, I was having some rather major issues unrelated to debian-live
and was not able to pursue this earlier.

What I get when I boot off of the custom kernel is:

@ Boot failed!
  This debian image failed to boot.

Please file a bug against the 'live-initramfs' package or email the
Debian Live mailing list at <debian-live@lists.debian.org>, making sure
to note the exact version, name and distribution of the image you were
attempting to boot.

The file /live.log contains some debugging information  but booting
with the debug command-line parameter will greatly increase its
verbosity which is extremely useful when diagnosing issues.

live-initramfs  will now start a shell. The error message was:

Can not mount /dev/loop0 (/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs) on
//filesystem.squashfs

Busybox v1.10.2 (Debian 1:1.10.2-2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
(initramfs) _

The /live.log file has only a couple of lines and informs me that:

Mounting "/live/image/live/filesystem.squashfs" on "filesystem.squashfs"
via "/dev/loop0" ... mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs
failed
: No such device

The kernel I am using was downloaded from the etch repository in source
format - reconfigured via make menuconfig to add built-in framebuffer
support for the ATI Mach64 video chip. I then ran make-kpkg to create
the .deb and followed up by a dpkg -i linux-image...deb.

After testing this kernel in my live environment, I copied the deb to
config/chroot_local_packages and added it to the LH_LINUX_PACKAGES= in
config/chroot.

I followed by (as root):

# lh_clean --purge
# lh_build

.. and tested the image via:

$ qemu -cdrom /data/binary.iso -boot d

> > I have installed the squashfs-modules-2.6.24 .. and squashfs-tools
> > packages on my host system but I'm not sure what I need to do to ensure
> > lh-build finds them.
>
> What is on your build system is entirely irrelevant from the view of
> live-helper; this was a deliberate design choice to prevent this kind of
> problem. (In addition, Debian Live is designed to work without a patched
> kernel.)

The kernel is not patched.

> Please paste your configuration so we can move forward. In an attempt to be
> psychic, unless you are attempting to build etch then your mirror must be
> out of date to be giving you that kernel version.

Please let me know if you have sufficient information.

Thanks!

CJ