Todo for making lenny release and getting official

Chris Lamb wrote:
>   * upload live-magic n+1 and ask for lenny freeze exception
>
> live-magic currently contains some Etchisms. For example it defaults to
> building etch images, which is rather unsuitable for lenny. These changes
> depend on knowing the name of lenny+1, which we won't be decided for little
> while - hopefully there will be some overlap.

just default to lenny as live-helper does. why do you need to know the
name of lenny+1?

live-helper as well as live-initramfs which will be in lenny are not
supposed to use/build/work on anything else than lenny (and in parts, etch).

>>   * Upload new autobuild images for amd64/i386/powerpc and sparc (unsure
>>     about status about sparc, though).
>
> The status of sparc is that it worked for me under Etch when I initially
> ported it but I've never tested lenny images (as my machine was being used as
> a router at the time and qemu does not support sparc64). I'm pretty sure I
> have built them without problems, however.

i'll have two sparc machines at home. will test it and report back after
debconf.

>    * live-initramfs boot sequence
>
> I think mammadori mentioned it last night on IRC but live-initramfs is
> really ugly when booting. This is more of an RFC than a wishlist; I would
> like to know what others think before I start patching stuff. There are
> really three things I can think of:

a few of them i just saw yesterday when building a normal image (like
the gconf calls). they should have a check. will be fixing the obvious ones.

>  1. Various error messages are printed that are not fatal to the boot
>     sequence. For example, messages from mount and losetup.

for those, i'd prefere to leave them up to someone knowing it better
than me.

>  2. Status messages are printed as "Doing foo...\nDone." instead of "Doing
>     foo...Done." which does not look very nice. I can't seem to find any
>     commits that introduced this, so it may be an issue elsewhere.

agreed - if someone wants to fix those, go ahead ;)

>     +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>     |                                                                       |
>     |                           BOOT FAILED !!!                             |
>     |                                                                       |
>     |       This Debian Live image failed to boot for some reason!          |
>     |                                                                       |
>     | If you can reproduce the problem, please consider filing a bug        |
>     | against the  "live-initramfs" package by emailing                     |
>     | <debian-live-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org> making sure to note the   |
>     | version (__VER__) and the exact name or distribution of the image     |
>     | you were attempting to boot.                                          |
>     |                                                                       |
>     | The file /live.log contains some debugging information but booting    |
>     | with the "debug" command-line parameter will increase the verbosity   |
>     | which can be extremely useful when attempting to fix the issue.       |
>     |                                                                       |
>     | live-initramfs will now start a Busybox shell to allow you to attempt |
>     | to diagnose the problem..                                             |
>     +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>     ...couldn't hurt and will prevent someone giving up after seeing an
>     unfamiliar prompt.

ack.. and also pointing to the BUGS file^^the bugs page in the manual.

> (Bonus points for a colour Debian swirl in the
>     message, naturally.)

haha *GG

>   * live-installer
>
> live-installer needs more testing - the version in testing is broken (2 more
> days needed to migrate). I've done a few small test installs which worked
> great with the sid version but nothing large or with X.Org. Anyone wishing
> to test it right now should but live-installer (>= 6) in chroot_local-udebs
> and set LH_DEBIAN_INSTALLER="live".

tiago is going to do some tests today i guess, also covering installing
to raid and lvm setups.

Email:          daniel.baumann at panthera-systems.net