How to specify the binary.img size ?

I found the tip here :
http://pierrebauduin.blogspot.com/2008/03/plus-loin-dans-debian-live-sur-une-clef.html

Translation (with my so bad english):
# with fdisk, note the count of cylinder of /dev/sdb1
# create /dev/sdb2 type 0x83 with the same count of cylinders at the end
of the free space
# save the partition table
# Copy the partition : dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdb2
# remove sdb1
# with cfdisk create again the first partition /dev/sdb1 de type 0x0b
(FAT32) usinf the whole free space
# enable the bootable flag for /dev/sdb2
# save and quit
# format the first partition: mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n DOCUMENTS /dev/sdb1

Now the first partition (data) can be written with :
windows (w$ :-) )
linux
debian live

I've override ${REAL_DIM}
So I can add or remove packages, the image size should be always the
same. (I'm working on this)
So, I hope to update my usb stick without erasing all the partitions

David.