How to specify the binary.img size ?

Hi
I would like to have a fat32 partition for the datas (when I have to
work on friends w$ computers)

method 1 (2 partitions) -> better
w$ only mount the first partition
So
sdb1 -> data
sdb2 -> live
how to restore binary.ing to sdb2 ?
I can keep free space after the first partition.

method 2 (1big partition)
restore binary.img (400Mb) to the whole space (8Gb)
Because the live partition is fat32.
dd creates a partition with the same size of binary.img.

Nobody needed to use his stick like this ?

Thanks

David.